11 August 2013

velvet column skirt

As well as an unhealthy love for velvet, I am also a die hard lover of the 90s look. This winter, in a bid to keep warm and try to look good at the same time (barely reconcilable objectives in my mind), I rifled through my stash to see what I could come up with. And it was my lucky day. I had a good metre and half of panne velvet leftover from a ballgown I made a couple of years ago. And so the velvet column skirt was born! Then, when the weather picked up in spring, something even better happened. "Tummy tops", as my friend calls them, or crop tops as they are more commonly known, made a big comeback. My 90s homage was complete...



Eat your hearts out TLC

The skirt is just a simple darted pencil skirt drafted from the block I made at the LCF last year. The velvet is a little stretchy so I made it with no ease (if you want figure-hugging with stretch fabric go for negative ease) so it would fit snuggly but not be tight. It had to have side slits of course: side slits give any long skirt a 90s girl band vibe...

It was one of those projects that only takes a couple of hours to rustle up, with no stress, fuss or even unpicking, and I have had so much mileage from it over the last six months. It is easily the most worn of all the things I have made.

Alix x

No comments:

Post a Comment